TeachMeets come to CEGSA and South Australia
Posted on February 21st, 2012 | 6 comments
By Al Upton
There is nothing new about educators sharing.
Sharing often occurs during a passing comment walking to the classroom, a brief chat over coffee, during staff meetings or planned professional development. Feedback from CEGSA members states that they would like more networking and sharing opportunities. TeachMeets are one strategy that CEGSA is using to address this.
This example video from BrainPOP UK explains TeachMeets which are increasingly being organised across the globe including Australia.
The purpose of this post is to respond to some of the basic questions related to TeachMeets. You may like to bookmark this page so that you can return to it later.
TeachMeets are run by teachers for teachers.
Why? So we can share stories about learning.
These organised yet informal meetings (in the style of unconferences) allow teachers to share good practice, practical innovations and personal insights in teaching with technology. Teachers are encouraged to come ready to briefly share an idea, a tool, website or product that they use in the classroom.
Key features can include; micro-presentations (7 minutes), nano-presentations (2 minutes), selection of presenters from volunteers, a backchannel for those not present to participate, shared resources, discussion, networking, they are free and a great opportunity for a TeachEat!
In South Australia we have also had a number of unconferences at CEGSA conferences. Delegates have chosen to go to a session where volunteers are called up to briefly share an aspect of their teaching. These were recorded and links collated for future reference.
When, Where and How could CEGSA TeachMeets be implemented?
- We are seeking your input and ideas here (comment below, feel free to add to the following ideas)
- Conference sessions
- TeachMeet professional development sessions
- Keep TeachMeets free. “ If teachers are the ones sharing they shouldn’t be paying for the privilege!”
(We need to cover costs, ideas?)
- A TeachMeet every term (taking into consideration conferences) – what do you think?
- Themed TeachMeets
- TeachMeets include Leaders, ICT Coordinators and Managers, Mentors, Researchers, Specialist and Classroom Teachers
- Include preservice teachers and students
- Network with other interested TeachMeet groups eg The TeachMeet Adelaide wiki
- More details will be supplied leading up to events but for those curious how it might look, click here “You can use whatever presentation format you want including PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi, Slide Rocket, 280 Slides, you could just talk, show something from the web, hold up a poster or sing a song! (You might present with a partner.) The important thing is you get your message across and you will get one minute setup time. Be prepared for technical difficulties and be ready to wing it on the day! That’s what makes TeachMeet exciting!”
Sounds Good! How can I get involved?
- Learning and Teaching shared at TeachMeets
- What to share at a TeachMeet
- Select an idea (or tool, website, product …) that you are currently using in your own practice
- 7 minute sharing examples (micro-presentations)
- 2 minute sharing examples (nano-presentations)
- Seek out something new to integrate with your current practice, keep brief sharing with others at a later date in mind
Perhaps seek out something from this magnificent wiki maintained by Lenva Shearing
What can I do next?
Create succinct, easy to put together presentations that are sure to inspire at least one fellow colleague; successful professional development. We are good at what we do especially sharing. Often TeachMeet presentations are simply standing up and speaking from our experience. Any web sites to add to our accumulative resources are a bonus so if everyone came along with something ready, imagine the quality of professional learning. Share …
- At the CEGSA AGM, Thursday March 15th, 7pm, Education Development Centre, Hindmarsh
- Gain insight into how and why iPads can be used to enhance learning in our first TeachMeet event
- We have our invited speaker Anita L’Efant then four local educators with their own use and perspective of using iPads in education
- After a short break I will be calling upon seven volunteers to share for just one or two minutes any aspect of their own practice.
- Regularly throughout the year. Get ready for something in Term 2!
- At our 2012 Conference Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th July, Unley High School
- At the end of each day there will be a TeachMeet session of a mix of prearranged and volunteer presenters. Both micro (7 minute) and nano (2 minute) sessions will be used. Collated resources will be on a TeachMeet page.
- Email me or find me on Twitter if you would like to present or have an idea about something you would like to hear about, learn more and possibly use in your own practice. Maybe you can recommend and encourage someone else to present. You can assure them (and yourself) that there is no pressure, demanding preparation requirements or judgemental attitudes. Just good sharing.
How might I use our CEGSA networks to enhance TeachMeet sharing?
- Comment on this and other posts
- What do you think of the idea?
- How might TeachMeets look here in SA? Who, What, When, Where, How …?
- What are your experiences of TeachMeets – including past unconferences?
- Any ideas – content, people?
- Add hashtags to follow CEGSA communications and keep in touch – see Twitter below.
- Have a look at this site Web 2.0: Cool Tools For Schools
- Do you know of similar sites? Already the TeachMeet concept is in action if you comment by sharing ideas and resources in this way. Comment on this post. Share similar sites you know. Use this ‘Cool Tools For Schools’ as a springboard to add to your current practice.
- CEGSA on Google Plus Add us to your circles!
- Retweet to share anything you find interesting. Add @CEGSAustralia and/or #cegsapln
- If you’re tweeting about our conference add #cegsa2012
- If you’re tweeting about a TeachMeet event add #TMcegsa12
- 140 character example ‘addressed’ to CEGSA
- ‘@CEGSAustralia I seek resources/ideas integrating indigenous perspective esp Aust Curriculum Any chance for PD in South Australia? #cegsapln’
- Learn and use the new hashtag for TeachMeets in Adelaide and South Australia
- ‘@CEGSAustralia who caters for the TeachEat? Is it bring a plate? #cegsapln #TMcegsa12 :)’
My role as TeachMeet Coordinator is to lead TeachMeet events for CEGSA conferences and professional development.
Be in touch.
Together we can make TeachMeets a fun aspect of our own CPD
- continuous professional development.
- The TeachMeet: It’s fixed, do we need to break it? (mattpearson.org)
- Reflections on TeachMeet for Special Educational Needs #TMSEN12 (drbadgr.wordpress.com)
- Top down leadership or the TeachMeet? (mattpearson.org)
- A ‘Well Done’ Blog Post for TeachMeet Bolton (simonhaughton.co.uk)
To search this website, please enter your search terms below and hit enter:
We've now opened up the CEGSA Forums! Pop on over and join in with our discussions.
We accept the following payments: Online, by mail, by EFT.
- By mail
- By EFT